Sunday, October 24, 2010

We Moved

Not a lot of people know that Trevor and I recently moved from Regina to Toronto. It was a huge step, especially for me, when beforehand I could say that I moved a total of 4 different times before graduating high school. I always believe that relocating is the reason I am the person that I am. When you've had to restart your life as much as I have, what with the making of new friends and getting used to new surroundings, you would be as awkward and shy as I am. I've become good at not drawing too much attention to myself, since it was always done for me by being pointed out as "the new girl."

Another problem is moving so much is that it's all I'm used to. Before living in Regina, the longest I had stayed in one place was for six years, 1995-2001, grade 5 to grade 11. Until that time, it was four years here, five years here. Enough to settle in and get used to everything, only to pick up and move onto the next place. When I moved to Regina for university, I vowed to never leave unless I had to.

That only took seven years.

A lot happened between 2003 until now. I met Trevor, I finished school, I got my first car, I dabbed my feet in working in the film industry, I paid off my student loans and put a sizable amount of money into investments for the future. I made a lot of friends, I fell out of friendship with many of them and I kept in touch with other I didn't want to lose. I traveled to Alaska, Vancouver, Calgary, Minot, Winnipeg, Mexico and Las Vegas. I made constant visits to my family in Ontario. I watched my brother, my sister and two younger cousins grow up from a distance, a distance that I had created by choosing school two provinces away. And last Christmas, I lost my other Grandfather, an event that I had both awaited and dreaded by being so far away.

It took a long hard look around for me to discover that it was a time for change. I could easily predict the next 5 years of my life in Regina and it saddened me to believe that nothing would really change. I would still be working, which was never a bad thing, but it had started to become repetitive, unpredictable and stressful. My parents would plan family trips, but in never wanting to turn down work, I wouldn't know if I would be able to go. I was on unemployment, but it started to become a hassle in having to "stay put" looking for work. I never saw most of my friends because our schedules were opposite when I worked and then clashed when I didn't. Lately, Trevor and I have also been working on shows together, out of a necessity of limited office workers, and it was starting to take an unhealthy toll on our relationship.

Now that we're in Toronto, the options seem endless, if not overwhelming. I'm not entirely sure what steps to take in what I want to do right now (or even what I want to do right now), but its a nice change of pace compared to Regina. I'm glad I have money put away, because a lot of things are more expensive than what I paid in Regina. Trevor will have visual effects school in a few months, so hopefully that will inspire me to think of the next step of my life.

No comments: