There are times in my life where I think that I'm too impulsive. I decide to do something and then I do it quickly, for fear that if I spend too much time thinking about it, I'll manage to un-think myself out of doing said task at hand. The lamest example I can think of is something very consequential - buying clothes. If I see something I like and fits nicely, I immediately buy it for fear that if I think about it too long, I will convince myself that I own too many clothes and therefore do not need it, that its too expensive that that I can't afford it, or that it looks like utter crap on my body that really, who am I trying to impress by wearing it?
By the way, this could be why I own so much damn clothes. If I were lazy, I could probably go at least a month or more by not needing to do laundry and not wearing the same thing twice.
Anyways, back to the main topic at hand, I can be impulsive. Trevor disagrees, but mostly because I try not to take him to the mall when I think I have money to burn on clothes I clearly don't need. The point is, at first I felt like moving to Toronto was a bit impulsive. Although we both agreed together that it was something that had to be done for our sanity and future goals in said shared life together, it kind of feels like it happened all so quickly. Maybe because it did. Or maybe because I tried not to think about it too much until it actually happened.
That thought was a month ago though, and now I think I'm in the settling mode. My idea of this move being too impulsive was pretty much brought on after we had finally unpacked and settled into our new place. I sat perched on my spot on the couch and glanced around all my familiar things thinking "well, now what?" We had no real idea what to do next, where anything was and how on earth we were supposed to do anything. We had left our familiar city, familiar surroundings and familiar friends and moved to an area of the country that was unfamiliar and we knew pretty much no one.
Now though, I think we've found our groove here. We can comfortably take the buses and subways everywhere, I know where important places are such as the closest grocery store / clinic / mall / hospital / Costco / Walmart / Dollarama all are. Trevor is starting his seasonal job this week and I'm set up with a temp agency with a new 2 week job starting next week. I know the area where we live and can comfortably drive most of it. My brother also reinforced my reasonings for being closer to my family by taking the bus from Waterloo to come visit me.
Maybe being impulsive can be a good thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment