Sunday, September 12, 2010

First 1/2 Marathon...Done!

Yay, I did!

Back in April this year, on the drive back from Saskatoon from visiting Nadine, I started to feel very lazy. Not only did I have to stay awake in the car for just over 2 hours, the only way I really could do so is if I stuffed my face with junk food during the drive.

Which I did. Which I later regretted, but not so much later as I was still in the car.

I decided to do something. I needed to get back into shape and I needed to do it in a way where I was forced to get into shape. Pretty much, like I had no choice in the matter. In February, I had tried to keep up with swimming laps everyday with a month's pass at Lawson, but then I started working on Hard Core Logo 2 and before I knew it, the 14 hour work days had taken over and it was the end of the month.

After staring at the ominous SK highway, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon. I mean, what's more terrifying than running 13 miles at once? And I definitely wasn't a runner. That night, I put my name in for Regina's Queen City Marathon.

I'll skip past the inane details of the buying new clothes, the training outside and the lack of training when I went to Mexico, then Las Vegas, then Michigan and then Toronto for family trips. The point is that I did it. I surpassed my first two goals of just finishing and finishing under 4 hours to get the well deserved medal.

My official chip time was 2 hours and 44 minutes.

I probably could have pushed myself a lot harder during the course of the run, but my brain got the best of me and instead of walking when I was tired or when I got a cramp, I stopped because I was bored.

Next 1/2 marathon though, I'll give it my all. But that's only because now I know that I can handle it.

No comments: