Monday, February 01, 2010

Happy Almost February

For our 4th year anniversary coming up, I bought Trevor's name as a domain for his film website (its hosted free on agilityhoster.com) for the next two years. Now though, as I surf around the site, I'm noticing all these crazy typos and spelling mistakes that I made and its driving me nuts! I last updated his website in October and now for the life of me, I can't remember the username and password to log in. *pounds forehead into keyboard*

Tonight while we vaguely watched the Grammys, I made a childhood favourite of mine in the form of delicious cookies. Back in November, I managed to find a copy of Martha Stewart's Cookies recipe book at Home Sense of all places, for 1/2 the price as well! Back then, I was in more of a cupcake mode, so naturally I went looking for the cupcake book as well, but I was told that they already sold their copies. Poop.

Anyways, I finally started to flip through it today and I found the recipe for a cookie called "Snickerdoodles." Besides the really odd name, these cookies really stood out for me because I remember making them lots as a kid.


Other than the obvious chocolate chip cookies, these were probably the second type of cookies I learned how to make.

(Peanut butter was rarely in our house, so I never did peanut butter cookies until I was older).


Snickerdoodles were really easy to make, although they have tons of white sugar in it. I'm not the biggest fan of cooking with white sugar, but I sucked it up for this batch. (That reminds me, we're out of sugar and probably have to pick some up tomorrow. Trevor likes it in his tea).


See that green bowl? Besides the sugar that you mix in with the recipe, you also have to roll the dough in more sugar and some cinnamon to give it that nice and familiar Snickerdoodle flavour.

Since I never have plain flour in my place, I substituted whole wheat flour for it. (In my mind, this healthy swap makes up for the mountain of sugar that went in). That's why the dough is darker than most cookie dough. I also rarely ever buy butter to cook with (even though that's all Martha is praising in her recipes, its a little hard on my stomach), so I ended up using margarine squares instead. What Martha doesn't know, doesn't hurt her.

Also, one may notice that I can never take as nice of baking pictures as some websites because 1) My camera sucks, 2) I have no window in my kitchen, so no natural lighting and 3) I have no idea where my red hard drive is that has my Paint Shop Pro program so that I can't photoshop the ugly out of my photos.

Lastly, I may have used egg whites instead of full eggs in the recipe. *gasp* I think we really need groceries.

Anyways, back to the cookies.


I love using my red cookie sheet mat because it prevents me from burning things when I forget to put on the timer. And that is exactly what I did for the first dozen or so of cookies, I forgot the timer, so they came out a little dryer than I like. I love my cookies moist and gooey, although that means that I'm not making a very good recipe to fit that craving. Maybe next time I will break out the classic chocolate chip recipe.


When they are just a touch on the crackle-side, is when they are done. It took me 3 attempts to get this right. The way I talk, you would wonder how I manage to feed myself, let alone Trevor as well.


The cookies are amazing with a glass of milk, especially when you realize that your milk carton expires tomorrow and you've only drank 2/3 of it. I hate wasting milk. And I really need to get groceries tomorrow.

Note to self: Don't forget the sugar.

1 comment:

Luke Annand said...

Those look delicious, Jess. Although I had to chuckle as it reminded me of Bill Hader's impression of Dave Matthews on SNL.

"Snickerdoodle cookie."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldYhOM5W2I

Also great to see an artist in on the joke.

Wish I could be there for your sushi birthday party. Save some for me for when I get back. Can sushi last 3 months in the fridge?