The title comes from my favourite artist this year, Marit Larsen, who oddly enough I discovered by going back to Ontario this summer, bringing home a ton of my high school crap and then putting my M2M cd in my player.
That's right, M2M! Everyone's heard of the bubbly Norway pop-duo M2M, mostly of the fact that they were constantly played on Saturday's YTV's Hit List (yes, I WAS cool....) and for the completely unknown reason that their first single was on the first Pokemon Movie soundtrack (sense a coolness trend with me here?)
So yeah, M2M broke up not too long after they become famous (they apparently put out a second album that no one heard of) and the two went their separate way. While listening to the CD, I then remembered the power of the internet and decided to look up what ever happened to these too.
The brunette, Marion Raven, I guess become a Avril Lavigne knockoff, or at least tried to be. She was offered a pretty hefty record contract the second the duo broke up, but this didn't seem to last long, as they dropped her not long after her first CD came out. The rest of her wikipedia page wasn't that interesting, but I guess she's still doing music. Oh, and she did a duet with Meatloaf. Still, whatever.
The blonde one, Marit Larsen, got nothing. No contract, no love. She disappeared for a while, but now she's got two CDs out and I have to admit it, I love them. She went the complete other direction of music, with a more pop-folksy feeling. It's very soothing, one of my more favourite things to listen to at work, besides the music from Glee.
The only crappy thing is that besides listening to her myspace page and countless youtube videos, I can't find her CDs anywhere! Even Zeus failed me, when they told me that she didn't exist. I found them on Amazon.ca for an almost seemingly crazy price of $27.99 each, which works out to be over two-bucks a song. I hate to say it, but its not worth almost sixty-bucks when I could just listen to the songs on youtube/myspace.
Yes, I love her work, but it's just not worth it right now. All I need to do is wait for iTunes to start bringing in more international artists songs and then I will purchase them. Until then, I'll just play them on youtube for a while longer.
PS: I was just re-reading old entries and this one was funny to look back on, especially the last paragraph. I wasn't serious when I wrote it, but sometimes I just don't like being right.
2 comments:
Yeah. Sometimes when I discover a new song, before I get it on iTunes I'll listen to it on YouTube a ton of times as well.
It's so funny you write a blog about music, since I just wrote a quick one-off as well about memory and music as well. Take a look at it. I'd like your thoughts.
I'm from Regina as well =]
I adore M2M and have for a long time. I own both of Marit's albums and can send you the songs if you want, at least until you can find them yourself =]. Shoot me an email if you'd like. xloveisnot [ @ ] gmail.com
Norway pop music owns me. Have you heard Maria Mena?
Post a Comment