Friday, November 06, 2009

Favourites

Since I'm a daily internet browser, I've come across my fair share of internet sites. My new favourites are ones that are generally making fun of people. Now these people didn't and probably still don't deserve it, but its usually still hilarious to go to these sites to laugh. I'd like to think of it more as a freak-show syndrome, where no matter what you just can't look away. Or in my case, visit enough.

1. Not Always Right - Their name derives from the classic slogan that apparently "the customer is always right." Anyone whose had to deal with a public-relating type of slave labor will disagree, which is generally 99% of the population. This site makes fun of the not-so rare moments where a customer is clearly in the wrong, but just won't admit it. Viewers submit their horror stories in a script/play he-said, she-said sort of format, which makes for a quick read and satisfying story. What's also nice is that you can view stories based on type of jobs, such as "bookstore," "retail," and the oh-so-classic "grocery-store clerk." On a good day, there's usually 5-6 new ones posted and I'll admit, Trevor and I have gone through and read every single story.

2. TFLN (Texts From Last Night) - This is a popular one, as whenever I get into a discussion about awesome internet sites, no matter what group of friends I am in, someone is always a big fan. It's supposed to be real texts that people have sent to each other, usually from some sort of intoxicated fashion, but on many I do have a hard time believing the far-fetchedness of the stories some of the texts seem to tell. My favourite part of the website is how it can be divided into two sections - best nights and worst nights. I tend to enjoy reading the worst nights first and then making myself feel less gross by reading the best nights (although I've noticed that new ones tend to overlap). You can also check where your province/state stands in terms of texts posted based on the area-code, which is an interesting feature.

3. Cake Wrecks - Since I love baking, I tend to randomly find websites dedicating to the making of food art. Enter Cake Wrecks. I've noticed that I'm especially a sucker for websites that include more pictures than text, so I can scroll through things faster and get to the point rather than reading through mindless paragraphs (kind of like this....) . This website indulges me in the terrible art of what some people think are professionally designed cakes. I'm no better decorator, but all of these cakes are ugly. My favourite sections are include mis-spelled cakes (or ones with "will call right back" written on them - maybe its because I once worked in a bakery?) and some wedding cakes that didn't turn out in any way that they looked in the magazine.

4. This Is Why You're Fat - This is my newest favourite website. Basically, its exactly what the name says, posting pictures of the most terrible, fattening, disgusting, heart-attack-ridden food on the planet. A lot of it does seem like a joke, where people clearly got bored and decided to make something nasty in their kitchen. But then there are pictures of people eating the food, and its the worst thing ever!! (Also, some of those meals exist - I've googled the recipes!) As nasty as it is, again, its the freak-show factor that comes into play. I just wish that they could update more often rather than just one picture every 1-2 days.

5. People of Walmart - Again, freak-show factor. I've been to Walmart a hundred times. I've even gone in my pjs once, but I have never, ever looked like some of these people. It's almost inspired me to hang out at Walmart and see if I can photograph people who clearly can't dress themselves.

6. FAIL Blog - Here is another that I'm sure most people have heard of. When I'm having a bad day, what mostly puts a smile on my face is watching videos and seeing images of people clearly having a worse one. Or the stupidity of people in general.

There are many other websites I check out, Post Secret is one (although he only updates on Sunday) and the various celebrity slam-sites. But I will find more websites. There's a whole internet out there for me to discover!

1 comment:

Luke Annand said...

I'm mostly a movie or movie related website guy. One in particular I like is DVD Beaver, since in their Blu-Ray reviews they have screencaps of not only recent Blu-Rays, but if they're for older movies, they compare it with previous DVD versions. On some of them, the improvement in picture quality is jawdropping.

But of the kinds of sites you mentioned, here's anotherone to add to the list.

www.fmylife.com

It's a site of quick posting about people who get into situations that either backfire on them or end up awful. It can be as sad as it is hilarious.