Anyone who really knows me, knows that I really dig the show Glee. And this isn't even my first entry on the show, considering I dissected the "Grilled Cheesus" episode in comparison to my own religious beliefs and situations.
But lately, as I stare out my sunny window, I've been thinking about two things regarding the show:
1). Everyone on the show, aside from the guest appearances, is (or rather was) unknown. Five years ago, I had never heard of any of the actors (I had briefly heard of Spring Awakening, but living in Canada, it wasn't like I was going to be able to seek it out anytime soon). These kids are mean talented and it almost saddens me to think that if Glee hadn't happened, they would still be out there, probably still unknown and struggling to find their way into the entertainment industry. Then it made me sad to think of all the other performers who are out there who are just as talented, but just can't catch their break.
2). Glee is a fantastic place to discover music. This past Tuesday, the all male group called the Warblers sang "Candles" and until then, I had never heard of the band Hey Monday, but now I can't stop obsessing with the original version. People seem very hostile on social media venues such as twitter and youtube, claiming ownership on the fact that "they" knew of songs before Glee and were fans of the original beforehand, as if this type of honour is deserving of some kind of recognition. All it makes me think is "really?" Can't we all just get along and agree that the song in itself is awesome? Apparently not.
Here is the Hey Monday version, love, love love!
No comments:
Post a Comment