Sunday, January 16, 2011

"One Saturday Morning" aka My Childhood



Last night, Trevor and I spent a good chunk of our evening talking to our mutal friend Heather from Saskatchewan.  As we were taking turns (we couldn't figure out the speakerphone on my cellphone), the other would be on the computer, looking up our favourite television shows and seeing if it was available on Netflix.  This was due to us realizing that Rocko's Modern Life was on Netflix, so we re-lived our childhood and watched a few episodes.  For some odd reason I do remember watching it, despite never liking Ren and Stimpy which looks and sounds similar.

When Trevor was talking to Heather, I took my turn on the computer and saw a link for One Saturday Morning.  It sounded familiar, but not really because it didn't sound like a TV show title.  I clicked on it.....and had my mind blown.

It was like I was transported back to my living room of my youth.  I couldn't even tell you how many Saturday mornings I spent watching this lead intro to my favourite shows in my childhood and the fact that it was right there in front of me.  I felt fuzzy, warm and a little vulnerable.  I was in awe and amazed that I had just rediscovered something that I had totally forgot.  This video was something that had been pushed out of my brain as I entered adolescence and made room for more important memories and ideas.  And here I was, a few weeks shy of my 26th birthday and in watching this trip down memory lane, being reduced to a awed and gaping 8 year old.

Anyways, I would be shocked if you watched the video above and it didn't trigger something from your childhood.  All I can say is thank you RetroJunk, thank you.

A small list of other shows that I had forgotten I watched until last night:
- Eureeka's Castle
- CatDog
- Daria
- Stickin Around
- Student Bodies
- Secret World of Alex Mac
- Quack Pack
- The Little Lulu Show
- What a Mess!
- OWL Tv
- Nightmare Ned

1 comment:

Joda said...

This is the difference between "farmer vision" and a regular childhood - I recognize only Students Bodies and OwlTV. I watched Students Bodies as a teenager (yeah, I was that geek...but, whatever - I once saw Ross Hull on a bus!) and I only knew OwlTV because I read Owl Magazine. Nice list, though!