Monday, October 19, 2009

Living in a Hotel is Not Glamorous

For the past 3 weeks and for the next 3 weeks, Trevor and I have been living at the Radisson in Saskatoon. Now, I know its a 4-star hotel with a pool (waterslide = closed for repairs till freakin' NEXT YEAR!), a gorgeous hot tub, a fitness centre, a restaurant and its closed to everything downtown. Also don't forget the standard hotel facitities, such as king-sized bed, maid service, fresh towels/sheets, awesome plasma tv cable, free internet, ice machine, vending machines, mini-fridge in room.....yes, the list could go on and on. It's hard to believe that they are puting us up in a hotel to work in Saskatoon for 6 weeks.

But that is where the glamour ends. Out of boredom, here is a list of why living in a hotel sucks:

1). Starchy, unsoft towels.
2). No kitchen to cook, therefore take-out every night ($$$ adds up).
3). No couch to sit on. We have to lay in bed to watch tv. Then when we try to sleep, our bodies don't know what to do.
4). SLOW hotel internet
5). Stuck in one tiny, cramped room
6). No laundry, which leads me to....
7). Living out of a suitcase (which I hate, hate, hate!)

So far, I've directed all my hatred and annoyance to one group: stupid people who take the elevator to go up or down one measly floor. This is especially painful since we are on the 14th (13th!) floor and trying to get to the lobby is usually a task in itself, especially when we are stopping at every...other..floor. So what normally is an enjoyable, 30 second sprial downwards becomes a nauseating start-stop ride of hell.

Oh well, 3 more weeks and we'll be back at home.

1 comment:

Luke Annand said...

As one whose lived on the road a lot and spent almost the entire summer of 06 in cheap motels courtesy of CP Rail, I can sympathize to an extent. While the towel and watching TV in bed seem like non-issues to me, the food, laundry issues and slow internet are tough calls.

If you want to save money on food, get yourself either a toaster oven or an electric grill. They're cheap, compact and you can cook anything in them. Way better than a microwave, IMHO. The only time I ever use a stove is to either fry or boil. And since you have a mini-fridge already, problem solved. Although you could also get a plug in cooler. Works just as good as a mini-fridge, and you can take on the road as well. And the best part is, you can take them with you the next time you're living in a hotel on an out of town film.

As for laundry and internet, I'm afraid it's just laundromats and libraries (the one cyber cafe I know of in Toon Town is long gone).