Monday, February 23, 2009

What I Did Tonight and on Pretty Much Every Other Oscar Night

1). Got into my pjs early. Today's record was set at 4:45pm, when I got home from the library and from a quick Safeway grocery trip.

2). Watched something quick before the Oscars started. This year, I managed to squeeze in my mandatory Sunday staple that is The Amazing Race, inbetween E-Talk's Red Carpet show and the actual main event. However, doing so made me miss the Barbara Walters Special that I love so much, but I do not mind as I will most likely find it on the internet somewhere.

3). Ate way too much food. Like last year, I baked a pre-made pizza, comsumed the whole damn thing, blended a fruit/yogurt smoothie after the Supporting-Actress speech and made a massive bowl of popcorn during the commercials after the Animation awards. I am so full that once again, I have to wait until tomorrow to feel good about myself while flipping through the best/worst outfits of the ceremony.

4). Got a little teary-eyed for one win, which this year's was Kate Winslet who finally one a damn Oscar. I probably won't see The Reader in a theatre, but I will try to rent.

5). Have a brief, but meaningful moment where I am a bit proud to be part of something that is related to the art of filmmaking, even if its just working in a film office (far away from the set) for a Regina feature or holding up a green screen for one of Trevor's films.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess

My Sunday was kinda similar to yours. I slept in, did a grocery run and I also went to Wal-Mart to get a cookie sheet and a frying pan. It's weird. I've never needed one until now.

In the afternoon, I tried getting through a Criterion DVD, but ended up falling asleep. I decided not to fight it and had a nap until 4. After that, I began making my special occasion supper, which was ribs. I got a recipe online and tried it out. In the end they were a little dry, but they still were tasty and had plenty of meat.

I did in fact watch the Barbra Walters special, but purely for Mickey Rourke. I liked in their quick bio of him that they acknowledged SIN CITY as part of "the roles got better". And I liked how Mickey said that even if he did win, that the award itself is rather meaningless because "you can't eat it, you can't f**k it and you can't get into Heaven with it."

As for the ceremony itself, it was hit and miss for me. For starters, I didn't like Hugh Jackman and I think that Jon Stewart should forever host them. I REALLY didn't like the gaudy musical numbers, and the blending of the Best Song nominees didn't exactly work. And I'm more pissed at Bruce Springsteen not being nominated than THE DARK KNIGHT not having a Best Picture nom.

But the comedic bits were truly funny. And MAN ON WIRE winning for Best Documentary Feature was the one win that night that I was really excited for. And seeing Phillipe on stage doing the coin trick and balancing the Oscar on his chin were the best moments of the night for me.

I'm cool with Kate winning (even though I wasn't a fan of the film), and while I'd rather see Mickey win, I'm glad that he lost to Sean Penn and that Sean was very gracious to him.

I too am glad to be a part of the film industry here, even if it's just from an outsider's perspective looking in. But I think this year is when my luck will change. When I know for certain, you'll definitely be one of the first to know.

Luke Annand said...

The above was me