Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Young and the Married

So I've been noticing in and around my facebook stalking that a ton of people younger than me that I went to high school with are suddenly getting married. It makes me feel weird. And old.

I'm not against getting married, I just don't see the need to do it so young. But then I look back and realize that my age group and I are approaching our mid-twenties range, which has been advertised as the "ideal-marrying age." My own mother was 23 when she married my father. Then again, she was 24 when she had me and that is definately something I'm not ready for.

Baby bride

I know a lot of women who already have their weddings planned out and they aren't even getting married. My friend Heather has already put away 5 grand for her future wedding. I'm not saying that's not smart, it just seems a little odd to think that we are at the age where we are supposedly ready to take such a huge step. I'm in so much debt from school right now, why would I want to put that on someone else as well? Plus, I'm just learning how to navigate myself around this so-called "adult world" now that I'm out of school. I've been in school continuously for the last 18 years and now that I'm finally, finally out, I want to experience more things.

Point is, I don't believe in young marriage. But if you are young and ready to take on the responsibilty of getting married, then go for it, who am I to stop you. In the mean time, although I am in a serious relationship, I am going to reap the joys of being a 23 year old graduate, out in the workforce with the rest of my life wide open.

No comments: