Thursday, July 03, 2008

Convocation, among other things

So once again, I neglect this thing. In all fairness, I've also neglected taking care of our new apartment (dishes, laundry, bills, etc), so it's only natural that I would forget about this thing too. I also neglected to talk about convocation, which came and went without a mention from me at all.

So, on June 5th, 2008, a happy 5 years since I started at the U of R, I graduated. Was it worth it? At this point, I say yes, mostly because I'm done. I can't imagine putting myself through another language, film studies, or even film production course. Deadlines can kiss my ass! Now it's time to get paid for the stuff I was vaguely taught in university (emphasis on vaguely).

Overall, convocation was very boring. Nothing but lines and more lines, get in line to get your grown (which they couldn't find - I ended up being guided into and waiting in another line for 5 minutes while they sorted it out). A line to pick up your diploma, sans frame, a line to gt the schedule for the ceremony, a line to wait for the seating of the ceremony.......endless boring lines! The beauty of the alphabeticalness of it was that I was seated next to Samantha, who works with Trevor at Corner Gas, so at least I had someone to talk to and whisper snide comments to for most of the ceremony. The ceremony consisted of lots and lots of speeches, most of which I couldn't hear because the accoustics from the seating area back to the stage were terrible.

The sad part about the ceremony was that I also realized how many people are so much smarter than me and actually came out of the university with something more. Us, the Fine Art kids shared our ceremony with the Arts kids and the Science kids and holy crap, are some of those degrees sounded insane. All those "distinction" and "great-distinction" following the graduate's name was just to make the following distinction-less people look bad. I secretly prayed that the people before me wouldn't be so bright so then there wouldn't be a gaping hole after my name that obviously stated how lazy I got in my last two years, I decided that a 74.3% average would be good enough, just as long as I was done (sad - no Masters for me - boo-freaking-hoo).

Well, at least my parents had their moment, where I strolled across the stage when my name was called, got hooded and got to shake hands with someone and have my photo taken with said person (I didn't bother to pay for that photo, so little did I care about that handshake). I was able to look down and see my parents and grandparents sitting in the second row and having look up at me at my small moment of victory, sort of mostly made the whole 5 years of school worth it.

Also, to make it a little more special, I shelled out the extra $75 for the nice frame to hang up my degree. To me, its the little useless things like that which I do that makes it all worth it.



No comments: