Thursday, March 20, 2008

If I didn't finish film school.....

As I am now a mere 6ish classes (3 producing and 3 4th year production) away from completing my film degree, I got to thinking earlier about my other small passions in life. Where would I be if I had chosen to pursue those interests instead of my love of movies? What would I be doing if I hadn't figured out that I could attend a film school that was not placed in Vancouver/Toronto and would not take the rest of my life to repay that kind of debt? Would I be as happy as I am now? Would I be as uncertain about my future as I am now? Where, if even in Canada, would I be?

So without anymore further, useless "what-if" thoughts, I bring you:

JESSICA'S TOP 5 CAREER CHOICES SHE TURNED DOWN WHEN SHE CHOSE FILM SCHOOL 5 YEAR AGO

#5. Novelist
For about 10 years of my life, I wanted to be a writer, more specifically a novelist. I wrote my first story complete with full page illustrations at age 6 which was my own adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood (plagiarism meant nothing to me). Later on, I graduated to chapter stories and eventually character series, with one series spanning on seven "books." The longest story I ever wrote was just after junior high, which ended up being 89 pages typed, single spaced. I have no idea what happened to it, but I still pray that a copy is on a disk somewhere among all my stuff.
Why it wouldn't have worked: Although my dad fully supported my love of reading/writing, claiming that I could be a great writer one day, that kind of dream never seemed plausible to me as a career. To this day, I would rather write a short story than a screenplay, so I don't even consider writing for film an enjoyable option for me either.
Where would I be? In a coffee shop somewhere, lighting my cigarette and lamenting over my laptop, still struggling to get published.

#4 Web Designer/Graphic Artist
This was a career I seriously considered, which as it turns out, lead me to finding out about the film program here at the university. In grade 11, I took a work experience class and ended up working at a graphic designing t-shirt place for 4 months (which although sounds awesome, I ended up spending all my time taking orders, ringing up orders and burning myself several times a day on the hot t-shirt press). At the time, I loved (and still vaguely enjoy) making websites and designing graphics. In grade 10, I received the award for the highest grade in my Technology 10 class, which really just consisted of making colourful PowerPoint presentations, html websites and elaborate graphics for the websites. I remember getting the award and thinking "this is what I want to do" and then taking a look into what classes I would need for it.
Why it wouldn't have worked: I don't remember being satisfied with a lot of the schools I looked into for web/graphic designing. Or maybe I was too overwhelmed by the prospect that I did not think I was good enough. Who knows.
Where would I be? Possibly off with a decent job designing something? I couldn't really say.

#3 Marine Biologist
Like every little Canadian girl who went to Marine World at one time in her life and saw the pretty dolphins jump and dance, I wanted to be a marine biologist. I saw those trainers in those wetsuits throwing fish at the obedient dolphins and at one time, declared in my tiny, little mind that I wanted to be just like those people. I wanted to feed, play and swim with the dolphins....and get paid to do so. What could have been more fun?
Why it wouldn't have worked: At around grade 6, I discovered that science classes and I did not get along. I took Bio 12 just to fill my senior-level science class quota for my high school diploma and enjoyed it, but that's probably because I was comparing it to the dreaded chemistry/physics horror that my friends would tell me about everyday. And come-on, marine biologist people are wicked smart!
Where would I be? I would have probably discovered how hard the classes were at university and dropped out.

#2 Computer Scientist
This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the Web Designer/Graphic Artist category, but in my high school after the Technology 10 class, was the follow-ups of Computer Science 11 and CS 12. Naturally, I thought that this would be an interesting path to endure. Boy were my parents secretly pleased with this thought - a career that would make money! Boy did I hate those high school classes, nothing but C++ and other complicated computer languages. What a goddamn nightmare. The only good thing I remember was at the end of CS 12, we were given a week-long course on how to use Blender and boy, do I wish I remember how to use it now.
Why it wouldn't have worked: I secretly hated it and I usually do terrible on the things I despise doing. It turned out to be nothing that I wanted to do in the first place.
Where would I be? I would probably be in Saskatoon, seeing as how Plan B to film school in Regina was becoming a CS major at the U of S. And after realizing how much I hated CS even in a university setting (the CS 100 I took here as a part of my required classes can go to hell) I would have probably dropped that major and took business instead.

#1 Chef
This one is the only career that I recently discovered that I missed out on. I love to cook, but it was something I discovered more when I moved out on my own. The only catch is that I only love to cook when I have time to, so it's not been until this year that I have had the time to cook all the elaborate suppers, desserts, homemade breads, muffins, etc that I have been wanting to try out. I guess that I could have tried to get my chef papers, but it was something that never crossed my mind until recently.
Why it would have never worked out: Since I've never worked in a food setting before (1 hateful day at New York Fries 7 years ago does NOT count), my experience levels would have been shot. Plus, I think the reason I enjoy cooking so much is because I do it when I want to, and not because I have to. If it became a job to me, I would probably hate it more.
Where would I be now? I would love to say that I would have my own restaurant or something, but I guess that's every cook's dream, all la Ratatouille. Instead, I will take the realist route and say that I would probably be working in some food place/restaurant and despise coming home every night and cooking for myself (or a family in the future).

No comments: