Today after work, I took the Toronto subway downtown to Williams-Sonoma to purchase my Cake Pops book for the signing with Bakerella this coming Saturday. I couldn't even wait to get home to read it, having decided to crack it open on the 45 minute transit ride back home. I also noticed that along the ride, I managed to capture the attention of a young rider with her father, with her marveling at the colours emitted from my purchase, a sure standout from the normal drabbiness that is standard in the TTC colour-scheme.
Now I'm home and after devouring page by page, I'm a little down that I can't bake anything. This is partly my fault, since we basically minimized ourselves before the move to save on shipping costs and thus I threw out, donated and pretty much gave away a good chunk of my baking supplies and melting chocolates. I stupidly thought that I could just easily replace everything when I moved, nevermind that it took me almost 4 years to accumulate it all.
Instead, after a dull supper of chicken hotdogs and ochazuke (a mixture of Japanese green tea and rice, my go-to comfort food), I went through mine and Trevor's vast collection of movies to express my need to, but inability to bake something. This is when I realized that my films usually have something to do with baking, searching for happiness and the need for something more in life. These are my favourites:
1). Waitress
I remember watching this trailer and knowing that right then and there, I needed to see this movie. Unfortunately, I never did see it due to it's limited release and me living in Regina, SK. I finally rented it at the RPL over a year after it's release and I loved every minute of it. My favourite parts are when Keri Russell's character Jenna closes her eyes creates a pie in her mind based on the situation around her, such as her unwanted pregnancy and her abusive husband, with descriptions such as "pregnant, miserable, self-pitying pie." The desserts in the films are beautiful to look at and even more breathtaking to watch unfold in the baking process. Even if you just watch the opening credits, you'll know what I'm taking about.
2). Stranger Than Fiction
This isn't really classified as a "baking" film, but small parts of it take place in a bakery. Ana Pascal (Maggie Gyllenhaal) is the love-interest for Will Ferrell's Harold Crick character, and ultimately becomes one of many who helps Harold change his life around. My heart broke for her in the scene where she describes to Harold how she was once in law school and all the glorious baking she would do for her study group and how that soon became the focus of her attention rather than school itself. The bakery itself is pretty awesome (fun fact, it's called "The Uprising" which is sweet, considering her character traits) and I adore it when we see her giving cupcakes to the homeless man who always comes in. Lastly, there is a cute scene where Harold gives her a basket of (baking) flours as an apology gift for his earlier creepy advances.
3). Julie & Julia
I haven't watched this one in over a year and am still unable to find my DVD for it. However, my favourite scene in the film is Amy Adam's character Julie Powell having a meltdown in the kitchen because her food wasn't coming out right. Trevor says that I frequently have similar freak-out sessions when my cooking never turns out the way I want it to. Meryl Streep is wonderful and inspiring as Julia Child and her wild spirit and marvelous creations were a wonder to watch. Afterwards, I wanted to do nothing more than buy a ton of butter and start creating.
There have been times where I've seriously considered taking some sort of baking school or instruction course. Even something basic, like the cake decorating classes they have monthly at the Michael's craft stores everywhere. Now that I'm in Toronto, I'm once again seriously considering re-visiting this passion since I'm surrounded by more variety and more opportunity. I'm excited to see what is to come after Christmas, as after the holidays is when I usually am motivated to get my butt in gear and do something!



No comments:
Post a Comment