Thursday, October 30, 2008

Back from the West Coast

Well, its been a few days, so I figured that I mention that we're back from our Vancouver trip. If you ever decide to venture down that way, I highly recommend staying somewhere in the downtown area. We stayed at Samesun Backpackers Lodge and it was worth it. Practically everything was within walking distance and things that weren't, we were still able to get to via bus, sky train or sea bus within 5 minutes.

Now that we're back though, we've noticed a huge difference between Regina and Vancouver. The one big thing is the nightlife. Vancouver nightlife dies out sometime around 4am, with the clubs slowly closing and all the food establishments that embrace the clubs closing start finishing up their nights. Most of the food places we ate at were open 23 hours or more and they were always packed with people, even at odd eating hours like 11pm. People were always on the street, and not just the obvious homeless people. There were people shopping, out with friends, jogging, driving or even just tourists like us out to view the nightlife.

Last night, Trevor and I decided to get some pictures of some buildings on 13th avenue (Cathedral Village) for his short film. It was about 10pm when we decided to go out and when we did, we saw....nothing. There were no cars (although the transit bus roared by us once), no people, all the stores were closed and there was just no life at all. I joked that we were more likely to get stabbed on 13th avenue in Regina, considering that no one would notice us.

So would I move to Vancouver? Right now it's hard to say, considering that I already have a life here in Regina. I have a place to live, once in a while I have a job and I have friends and Trevor here. Although life can be super boring here in Regina, I have roots here and right now, I can't see myself ever being able to pick up and take off. Besides, I'm not good at starting my life over again in new places. It took me a while to establish myself here in Regina, so if I was to move somewhere better (like Vancouver), then it wouldn't be for a while yet.

No comments: