In the probably half dozen or so cashier-related jobs I have experienced over the last 5 years, I have come to love/hate certain random things about those types of jobs. As I slowly approach my last two shifts with open arms, these random and familiar rants come to mind:
1). Old people/change - I've had a couple random customers think its hilarious, HILARIOUS, when they back up my line as they shell out their $20 in small change so that they can get a $10 bill back. "Oh, it looks like your work is cut out for you now!" Dumb-asses, its a store, not a bank. Take your dimes and pennies elsewhere.
2). Children/money - Dear parents: it is not adorable when you want to teach your child how to pay for things under my watch. I don't have time to watch him count out all his change out of his plastic sandwich baggie. Also, don't pressure your kid if he looks too damn frightened to hand me his change, just pry it from his sticky fingers and hand it to me, I don't have all day. If you want to teach your kid how to count money, wait a few years and he can have my old job.
3). Foreigners/change - if you don't understand our money, please take the time to learn. I don't have the time to wait for you to figure out the difference between a dime and a quarter and then argue to your daughter and wife in a language that I don't understand.
Things People Say that Drive Me Nuts
1. When things don't scan - "oh, it must be free then!"
2. "Working hard or hardly working?"
3. When I'm standing waiting at my register - "oh, are you open?"
4. When I am wearing a recognizable store outfit/smock - "do you work here?"
5. "I just have to grab one more thing..." on the other side of the store.
6. "I don't want this anymore....." (or this, or this, or this...)
7. "I just came in for one thing." (Aren't I hilarious? Because I have a cart of stuff - get it, get?)
8. "Are you closing? But I need to grab a few things."
9. "How much is this?" (More annoying since my Dollar-store job)
10. "You like change, don't you?" Dumps purse contents all over counter.
Blah, I'm tired. Will rant more later.
1 comment:
Hahahahaha! I completely agree with everything written here. I've worked my share of cashier related jobs. Ooh what fun.
Post a Comment