Thursday, December 21, 2006

Did innkeeper's wives have naturally curly hair?

Now that I'm home for the Christmas break, I appear to have less time to myself than when school was going on. I cook, do laundry, run errands and wrap gifts while everyone is at work. I sleep in until at least 11am, unless one of the above mentionables requires me to be up earlier. This is the only week I do this though, since afterwards school will be over and we will be off to the grandparents' house until Boxing Day. Then I shall sleep until noon.

Today I was completing my annual tradition of making gingerbread cookies with my sister when A Charlie Brown Christmas came on the good old television. Maybe it was the combination of the cinnamon and ginger smell in the air or listening to Linus quote the true meaning of Christmas from Luke 2:8-14, but I got incredibly nostalgic for some unknown reason. I found it to be kind of sad that my time spent with my family is considered annual or bi-annual events. Like I miss all my sister's gymnastic meets and practices because I'm never around, or that I only get to watch my brother play hockey once a year. I always sleep in a different room of the house and there is always one room that is completely re-arranged from the last time I set foot in it.

But I guess this is what happens when you are the oldest and you leave home to pursue other things.

Happy holidays people!

No comments: